Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Random Ramblings....

This came up in an image search on random ramblings :-) Photo Source


I felt like it was time for another post, but didn't have a single topic that I've been dwelling on so instead you get a bunch of random stuff..   so I apologize for the rambling but here goes...

First, I haven't run in a week and a half, and it's driving me a little crazy.  I managed to develop Achilles tendinitis in my right foot, primarily from over use I believe.  I made it 48 days into the 120 day running challenge (run at least 1 mile per day), and I'm guessing the fact that I didn't take a break contributed to it.

Photo Source
So... in order to prevent any surgical views of a torn achilles, I bailed out of the challenge and am resting.  Which means no running..  which a year ago wouldn't have meant anything.  But, after successfully developing a passion for running (my wife would say obsession), not running is tough to do.  I have however been trying to work biking and other workouts in during this time.

For a great recap of what it's like to not be able to run... check out this post from fellow blogger Pensive Pumpkin..   similar to her situation, I've taken this opportunity of down time to sign up for a race... because of course that is what you do when you can't run.

http://www.bigmountainar.com/BMTR2012.php

So.. I'm signing up for the Cheyenne Canyon 10K trail run on April 21st.  I think I'll be able to start running again next week (with breaks inbetween) to get ready for this one.  It really sounds appealing because it is 90% single track, uphill on the first half and a downhill finish, and it goes through some old train tunnels..   Anyone in the CO area doing this one?

http://www.landsharkrunclub.com/spring/


Next random item is that our 7 1/2 year old twin boys just signed up for the "Land Sharks" running team through their elementary school.  Of course I'm pretty excited, and they are too.  First practice is tomorrow so we'll see how it goes.  They are in 1st grade, so will be running 400 and 800m races. Wish I could afford to outfit them in the latest Merrell's or VFF's!   Ah well...  going to try out some decent water shoes.. just something flexible and flat (and affordable!).


Oh.. and before I forget.... another CONTEST is out there... and for SHOES!  I know those two words get every barefoot/minimalist runner out there in a lather... Anyway.. this one is from Skora.. they have a pretty cool line of upscale minimalist shoes..  Can't believe I'm sharing this as it reduces my chances of winning! Entry deadline is 5pm PST on Friday the 6th, so check it out here! http://minimalistrunningshoes.org/skora-running-form.php


Photo Source

Photo Source
All randomness aside, I would be remiss if I didn't spend a little time talking about a sad and tragic loss this last week.  Micah True aka Caballo Blanco died, but true to form, he died doing what he loved most... running. I learned about his incredible integrity and character when I read "Born to Run" last year, and got to know more about him via his great Facebook posts.


As with many other readers, fans and friends, I have clung on to a few of his quotes from the book which includes:
"Don’t fight the trail. Take what it gives you,” he began. “Lesson two – Think Easy, Light, Smooth, and Fast. You start with easy, because if that’s all you get, that’s not so bad. Then work on light. Make it effortless, like you don’t give a shit how high the hill is or how far you’ve got to go. When you’ve practiced that so long that you forget you’re practicing, you work on making it smooooooth. You won’t have to worry about the last one – you get those three, and you’ll be fast.”


There have also been a lot of really great blog posts about Micah..  a few of my favorites are from Barefoot Monologues, Vanessa Runs, and Pensive Pumpkin.. check them out as they are better with words than I am.

RIP Caballo Blanco.




Happy trails everyone... hope it's a good week and weekend!


Jeff


http://barefootinclined.blogspot.com/

‎”WE are the messengers. Fueled by the message we carry. When the message is of Truth/Beauty, love, Hope and Peace, we will always have the strength to find our ways home, on this, our beautiful Mother Earth. Run Free!”
-Micah True, March 26, 2012


6 comments:

  1. I had a little bit of sore achilles last year. Took me about 2 - 3 weeks to get rid of it. Hope yours gets better soon! It's so tough not to run!

    I like that pet monkey. Sometimes I wish I had one but then I remember that woman who got her face bit off. There was an article about these monkeys that are being sold out of Indonesia on MSNBC yesterday. There's some popular video of one being tickled on YouTube so then everyone wanted one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Face bit off? yikes... but yeah, owning wild animals is not really a good idea :-). Hoping to start running a bit next week and see how it goes

      Delete
  2. Ooh, happy recovery. I was eyeballing that 10K but have to pass as I have Big Sur the next week and don't want to over do it. Have a great run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had Achilles tedinosis three times, and I've always gotten rid of it using the exercises according to the Umea model, see the original scientific article at http://yaroslavvb.com/papers/alfredson-heavy.pdf (a good description in plain English can be found eg. at http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/achilles-tendinosis.html)

    Ever since my last period of problems, I've kept on doing these exercises in order to stay clear of any further problems, and have been problem free for the past 1.5 years. I highly recommend it. Barefoot running, especially uphill, is really hard on Achilles, so all the more reason to fight it. Pain killers is not good, as it only hides the problem, doesn't cure it.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this! I will certainly try this. I've learned that although the pain is at the base of my heel, the issue is up in my calf of course. So, I've been rolling it and using trigger point therapy to work out the tension and realign the muscle fibers.. that has helped a lot so far, but these exercises will certainly help keep the problem away!

      Delete

I live for comments.. so leave one! Thanks!